Monday, October 5

Get Inspired

Lately I've been getting a lot of questions about what one actually does in a Fashion Design program. Of course, there is a lot to it, but I thought that it may interest some if I shared a little tidbit from my university life. This year one of my big projects is to design and make a daywear dress for spring. Of course, as a designer there is a lot that goes into formulating a brilliant idea, and most important of all is the inspiration! I ended up choosing 'Military Uniforms in the Nineteenth Century' for my theme and came up with the following board. I am quite pleased with the results and the overall feel! In case you can't read the quote, it says this "At the close of this war I will remove my insignia and wristwatch. I will continue to wear my short coat so that everyone can kiss my ass." - George S. Patton. I think that it embodies the pretentious vibe of military costume brilliantly! What do you guys think of it? I really feel that having an inspiration board is a good idea for everyone, designer or not...just remember to go with your gut when making it...you might be surprised by the results!

P.S. I'm dying to become a red head...can I make it work?

1 comment:

Van Wickiam said...

Hey Nikki, you pretty much kick ass. That's the coolest thing I've seen in quite some time, and on top of that, it's an awesome theme for clothes. Plz poast moar.